Caregiving is a serious job and it is only advisable for those men and women, if they have previously worked in a hospital in nursing. The reason is “to have the experience in care giving and generally taking care of ill people”.
The care giving needs much empathy, patience and the necessary physique as the job sometimes include lifting patients too. Its almost impossible to give a great service if you do not possess the knowledge, the empathy toward the people who need to be taken care on the first place.
How to Start a Caregiver Agency?
- You need to set up your goals and decide whether you want to be personally involved with patients or will let your nurses do the job and you do the managing tasks solely. Caregiving is a growing industry and more and more people are in need of continuous care and nursing in their homes.
- You will need to employ licensed nurses who can show solid proof of their good abilities in paper and by references. You might also need to go through a nursing and first aid course as the manager of the company, according to the requirements of your country.
- You will need a CPR certification as well.
- You can decide whether to go franchise or make your business your own way. There are many bigger nursing agencies, which offer franchise, making things easier for you from the start, but of course, franchise has its darker sides as well, so it is up to you.
- It is very important in this business to have good references. The best thing is, if you have gained your own experience in care giving for another agency previously. Also, consider asking the families of some private clients to give a reference about you.
- As the business will require you to move your employees into a home, you will always be in need of fresh recruits who can be called in case of emergency, meaning when you have no one else at hand.
- This business is totally about trust. Obtain references all the time from the family members of the patient because if any one of your employees fails, it can make your business crash within days. You will need to get them papers signed for you and you will always need to get the official medical papers telling you about the client’s state in order to make sure he or she gets the best possible handling. It is wise to have an interview with the client’s family.
- This is a business where you cannot avoid having an office in real. You will need to count in all the additional costs that come with it. You will need marketing which also costs a couple of bucks. Think about putting ads in local newspapers.
- Later, as you grow, you can consider having some of your own company’s cars. Until then, if you employ nurses with car, persuade them to stick your company logo and contact details, as there is nothing better than a moving ad.