Who is Bill Simmons?
Bill Simmons – more popularly known as The Sports Guy or formerly The Boston Sports Guy is an author, podcaster and a sports columnist and is currently working with ESPN. Below points answers the question “Who is Bill Simmons” in a more detailed manner.
- Born on September 25, 1969 Simmons earned a job with ESPN in the year 2001.
- Simmons has been writing for ESPN since 2001. He has hosted his podcast for the website of the company – espn.com.
- For ESPN’s documentary project – 30 for 30, he has served as the executive producer.
- He has also written for Jimmy Kimmel and has two bestselling books to his credit.
- He is the editor in chief for an online magazine known as Grantland which he launched in the year 2011.
- A number of Internet memes like Ewing Theory and The Manning Face are also a creation of Simmons.
- He is famous for his writing style which has certain unique characteristics like pop culture reference, his life not at all related to sports and everything written from the view point of a passionate sports fan.
Other Facts About Him
- When Simmons joined ESPN in 2001, he was given the job of writing three guest columns. His first column – ‘Is Clemens the Antichrist?’ went on to become one of the most emailed article in that year. After seeing his huge popularity as columnist, he was awarded his own section on page two of the website. Viewership of page two doubled within 16 months.
- In the year 2005, about 500,000 persons visited Simmons column every month. The average visitor count from June to November 2009 was 460,000 per month.
- Simmons started podcast for ESPN in the year 2007. It was called ‘Eye of the Sports guy’. Within a month it was changed to B.S Report. He used to produce hourly podcast three to four times in a week. It soon becomes the most downloaded podcast with average download of around two million per month. It was downloaded over 25.4 million times in the year 2009.
- Simmons launched his first book – ‘Now I Can Die in Peace’ in the year 2005 and it went on to become New York Times bestselling book. It is basically a collection of his columns. His second book – ‘The Book of Basketball: The NBA According to the Sports Guy’ was released on Oct 27, 2009. It went on to become the New York Times best seller for Non Fiction books.
Bill Simmons Salary
- Speculations have always been around about the money Bill Simmons is making through his job at ESPN. There is no doubt that he is earning big, but there was never a confirmation on the exact amount he is taking home.
- According to the data available, his earnings are believed to be around $3 million per year.
Salary between 2005 till 2011
- The deal between Simmons and ESPN was finalized in the year 2005 and was estimated to be worth $17 million for a five year contract.
- It is also believed that he has signed a new contract with ESPN in the year 2011.